A personalized pre-college classroom experience with small class-sizes and more faculty/student interaction
VUB offers short term classes – on college campuses across Montana – to provide an authentic "college experience" to help ease the transition for veterans into an academic environment. The classes provide a rapid academic review and assist in the development of skills necessary for success in any learning environment.
We have added Live Online Classes to increase course offerings to program participants at all sites. Online classes are indicated below.
College Transition Support
Get help in navigating college admissions, financial aid, registration and more. Dust off those practical skills – note taking, test taking, time management – and get ready for class. Find out more about the statewide support provided by veterans' service providers in your community.
- College Success Strategies (Billings & Online)
- Veterans Resources (Billings & Online)
Brush up your computer skills and refine your understanding of the useful tools in Word and Excel. Improve the skills needed to produce more polished documents for college or work.
- Introduction to Computers (All sites)
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel & PowerPoint (Billings & Online)
Gain the tools you need for better money management and wiser financial decisions. Create a personal budget and develop long and short term goals for a more secure financial future.
- Personal Finance (Billings & Online)
Learn the basic grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation you need to communication simply but effectively in Spanish. If Spanish is in your collegiate future, use this class to get a head start on the material presented in an introductory college class.
- Spanish I (Billings & Online)
- Spanish II (Billings & Online)
If the thought of a math class has you breaking out in a cold sweat, this is your opportunity to face your math fears. Review basic math skills to fill in any learning gaps, remember things you used to know and strengthen your analytical skills. Move into algebra with confidence. VUB instructors are very good at addressing areas of math weakness.
- Math I: Basic Math (Billings & Online)
- Math II: Introduction to Algebra (Billings & Online)
- Math III: Intermediate Algebra (Billings & Online)
- Math IV: Introduction to Calculas (Billings & Online)
- Introduction to Mathematics/Algebra (All sites)
Get a brief overview of biology, physics and chemistry and become familiar with the basic concepts and principles of each branch. Build a foundation of vocabulary, appropriate study skills and learning strategies to prepare for a college level science class.
- Science I: Biology (Billings & Online)
- Science II: Chemistry (Billings & Online)
- Science III: Physics (Billings & Online)
Begin with a concise grammar review to eliminate common punctuation errors and prepare for writing more formally and with a purpose. Learn the writing process from pre-writing to evaluating content, organization, topic development, transition, clarity, and word and sentence choice to produce thoughtful and polished essays.
- Grammar Review (Billings & Online)
- Introduction to Writing I (Billings & Online)
- Introduction to College Writing (All sites)
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.Colin Powell
In order to serve the most veterans, we have the following eligibility requirements:
- All participants must complete a VUB application to finalize enrollment.
- Any veteran with an academic need that VUB services can address may be enrolled our academic refresher classes. Prior participants may enroll a second time if there is space in the class(es).
Veterans Upward Bound has provided instruction, support services and career counseling to veterans transitioning from soldier to civilian life since 1992.Contact Us